Baptisms are scheduled with the parish office. Baptisms are typically scheduled to follow the 11 AM Mass on Sundays but can be scheduled for other times as needed. Parents are required to attend a preparation class before the baptism. Contact the rectory early in the pregnancy. Godparents are welcome to attend the instruction but are not required to do so.
- “Insofar as possible, a person to be baptized is to be given a sponsor [Godparents] who assists an adult in Christian initiation or together with the parents presents an infant for baptism. A sponsor also helps the baptized person to lead a Christian life in keeping with baptism and to fulfill faithfully the obligations inherent in it.” (Canon 872)
- A child may have up to one male and one female godparent.
- Godparents must be at least 16 years old.
- Godparents “be a Catholic who has been confirmed and has already received the most holy sacrament of the Eucharist and who leads a life of faith in keeping with the function to be taken on.” (Canon 874)
- One Godparent may be a baptized non-Catholic, in which case they are technically a “witness”, not a “sponsor” but they perform the same role in the ceremony.